As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Adelanto, CA, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it among the highest paying medical-related professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Adelanto, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, you will need to consider all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured you will learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders making it really important that your training is very diverse instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with others. In instances where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are often driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you ought to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Adelanto, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mainly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain quite a few forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs which can be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Adelanto, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Adelanto, CA reviewed by Aiden TAYLOR on June 1.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.