When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Alamo, TX, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Alamo, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, it is important to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders therefore it is imperative that your schooling is very diverse and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are frequently driven aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue that you have to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Alamo, TX
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain a number of forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs which can be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Alamo, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Alamo, TX reviewed by Layla CRAWFORD on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.