When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Alamo, TX, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Alamo, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, it is important to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders therefore it is imperative that your schooling is very diverse and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are frequently driven aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue that you have to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Alamo, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain a number of forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs which can be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Alamo, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Alamo, TX reviewed by Layla CRAWFORD on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.