After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Alice, TX, you will quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying medical careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Alice, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a training program, you will need to evaluate all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you will learn about the full array of skills necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very diversified instead of too focused on a particular discipline.
Another important variable you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are sometimes driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you need to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Alice, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain many forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that could be totally different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Alice, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Alice, TX reviewed by Emma HAMILTON on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.