After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Allouez, WI, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying medical careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Allouez, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a school, be sure that you think about all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you will be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders making it crucial that your course work is very diverse rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to others. In instances where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often pushed aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you should take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Allouez, WI
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain many forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs that could be very different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Allouez, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Allouez, WI reviewed by Emily WOODS on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.