As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Arcata, CA, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Arcata, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a training program, you might want to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical experience compared to others. In situations where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household tend to be pushed aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Arcata, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include many forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs which may be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with small children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because there will be several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Arcata, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Arcata, CA reviewed by Anthony HARRIS on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.