After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Arnold, MO, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Arnold, MO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, make sure that you consider all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured you will be taught the full array of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the other schools. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are frequently driven aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you should look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Arnold, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs which can be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as there will be many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Arnold, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Arnold, MO reviewed by Abigail COLE on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.