When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Artesia, CA, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Artesia, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a school, it is very important to examine all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will learn about the full array of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another important component to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many of us online classes can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often driven aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you ought to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Artesia, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain several forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs which can be completely different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Artesia, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Artesia, CA reviewed by David MARTINEZ on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.