When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Athens, TN, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the best paying health care vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Athens, TN
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a training program, make sure that you consider all of your options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full range of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very extensive instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some people online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be pushed aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you should have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Athens, TN
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- AS Occupational Therapy Assistant
- BS Health Science (Post PTA)
- AAS Physical Therapist Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administrated by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain several forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Athens, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Athens, TN reviewed by Connor MURPHY on June 2.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.