When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Athens, TX, you should soon find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying healthcare careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Athens, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a school, make sure you evaluate all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is important that your training is very extensive instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience as compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online classes can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you should look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Athens, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include numerous forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs which may be very different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since there will be several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Athens, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Athens, TX reviewed by Isaiah PEREZ on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.