After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Atlanta, GA, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantpay is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there withthe highest paying medical occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Atlanta, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a training program, you will need to examine all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school thatfits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders so it is important that yourschooling is very extensive rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schoolscommit considerably more time on your actual practical trainingin comparison with other schools. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of your class can varyconsiderably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones will often be driven aside as students pursue their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you might want to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students graduate from the program, what their observations were , and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Atlanta, GA
- Keiser University Online
- Offering 100% online programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees at Keiser!
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting ofprimarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent going throughhands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,health care jargon , and physical therapy. All States that require licensure onlyrequire a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapistlaunched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have tobecome licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensure is controlled by the Georgia Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of themand can include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluatedand be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will includea number of forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable websites . It is important to take a very thorough look through thepaper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcriptsneeded ; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needsthat could be very different compared to the previous patient . You might be working for an outpatient facility with children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills , a few of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will bemany instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Atlanta, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Atlanta, GA reviewed by Sarah HICKS on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.