As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Austin, MN, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Austin, MN
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, it is very important to analyze all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will learn about the full array of techniques necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders making it crucial that your course work is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important factor you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some people online classes can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often times driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you want to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Austin, MN
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being primarily class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Minnesota, licensing is controlled by the Minnesota Department of Health OT/OTA Licensing Advisory Council. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain quite a few forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs that could be totally different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Austin, MN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Austin, MN reviewed by Jim WATKINS on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.