When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bartow, FL, you should quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it among the best paying health care professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bartow, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, make sure that you analyze all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders therefore it is very important that your course work is very diversified instead of too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you might like to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Bartow, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include a number of forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs which can be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will have plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bartow, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bartow, FL reviewed by Kayla WAGNER on June 12.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.