Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Beaumont, CA, you will soon see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Beaumont, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a training program, it is important to think about all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full range of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other schools. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some people online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you need to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Beaumont, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mostly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include many forms to complete. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs that may be completely different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Beaumont, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Beaumont, CA reviewed by Charles COOPER on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.