After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bellevue, ID, you will soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellevue, ID
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a school, be sure that you examine all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain that you will be taught the full variety of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very diverse and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some people online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are often times driven aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might want to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellevue, ID
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In ID, licensing is controlled by the Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will contain many forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs which are often completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with infants that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will have several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bellevue, ID that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellevue, ID reviewed by Hannah FREEMAN on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.