As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bellevue, WA, you are going to soon see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellevue, WA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a school, it is very important to think about all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders so it is imperative that your schooling is very diverse instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another important factor you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other schools. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are frequently pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you ought to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellevue, WA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.S. in Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In WA, licensing is handled by the Washington Occupational Therapy Practice Board. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain numerous forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs that will be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bellevue, WA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bellevue, WA reviewed by Savannah GORDON on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.