After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Belton, TX, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying medical professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Belton, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a school, you might want to examine all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you are going to be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online classes can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are often times driven aside as students continue their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Belton, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include many forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that may be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Belton, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Belton, TX reviewed by Hailey HENRY on June 15.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.