Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Berkeley, MO, you should quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it right there with the best paying medical vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Berkeley, MO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a training program, you might want to examine all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full array of competencies required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders so it is very important that your training is very extensive and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important component to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual practical experience when compared to others. In instances where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household tend to be pushed aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you might like to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Berkeley, MO
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is controlled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain numerous forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who may have needs that could be totally different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Berkeley, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Berkeley, MO reviewed by Audrey BURNS on June 14.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.