Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bloomington, MN, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying health care professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bloomington, MN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, it is important to think about all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you are going to be taught the full array of competencies necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very diverse and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant feature to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical training compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household will often be driven aside while students undertake their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you have to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Bloomington, MN
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In MN, licensing is administrated by the Minnesota Department of Health OT/OTA Licensing Advisory Council. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain many forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Bloomington, MN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bloomington, MN reviewed by Morgan ANDREWS on June 3.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.