Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Bluefield, WV, you will quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying healthcare professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bluefield, WV
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a training program, it is very important to consider all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full array of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders making it essential that your training is very extensive and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other schools. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you have to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Bluefield, WV
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In WV, licensing is handled by the West Virginia Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs which are often completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Bluefield, WV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Bluefield, WV reviewed by Isabella GRAHAM on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.