When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Blythe, CA, you should quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Blythe, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a training program, you will need to examine all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will learn about the full array of techniques required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it essential that your training is very extensive and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you should consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Blythe, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain a number of forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will want you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which can be completely different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Blythe, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Blythe, CA reviewed by Cameron ROGERS on June 5.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.