Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brawley, CA, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it among the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brawley, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a training program, you will need to evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another significant component you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical training as compared to others. In situations where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some people online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often times pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Brawley, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain a number of forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs which can be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have many instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Brawley, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brawley, CA reviewed by Kyle JORDAN on June 5.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.