As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brown Deer, WI, you should soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brown Deer, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a training program, you will need to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you will be taught the full array of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important variable you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory training compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you should look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Brown Deer, WI
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administrated by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain several forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Brown Deer, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brown Deer, WI reviewed by Scarlett HUDSON on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.