As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brownwood, TX, you should soon find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the best paying medical occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brownwood, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, it is important to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured you will be taught the full array of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical training as compared to others. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Brownwood, TX
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include many forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable web sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that will be totally different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with young children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Brownwood, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brownwood, TX reviewed by Olivia SULLIVAN on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.