As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Brownwood, TX, you should soon find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the best paying medical occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brownwood, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, it is important to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured you will be taught the full array of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical training as compared to others. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Brownwood, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include many forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable web sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs that will be totally different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with young children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Brownwood, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Brownwood, TX reviewed by Olivia SULLIVAN on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.