As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Buford, GA, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying health care occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Buford, GA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a school, make sure you think about all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders making it imperative that your course work is very diverse and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for some people online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are often times pushed aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might like to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Buford, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
The Salon & Spa industry offers you the personal freedom and financial rewards you deserve! You could not have chosen a better time to follow your passion. Health and Style Institute will help you develop the skills you need to be successful in this magnificent industry. Our up to the minute, interactive training will help you reach beyond your limits.
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which can be totally different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Buford, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Buford, GA reviewed by Ryder HAYES on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.