When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Calhoun, GA, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the best paying healthcare professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Calhoun, GA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, you might want to evaluate all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you will be taught the full array of techniques required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders making it essential that your schooling is very extensive instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical training in comparison to others. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of the classes can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family will often be pushed aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you might want to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Calhoun, GA
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is handled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include numerous forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs that could be very different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will have several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Calhoun, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Calhoun, GA reviewed by Jacob MYERS on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.