Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Canton, SD, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying medical-related occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Canton, SD
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a training program, you will need to examine all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured you will learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diversified rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another really important component to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other training programs. In cases where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are frequently pushed aside while students continue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you might like to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Canton, SD
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In SD, licensing is administrated by the South Dakota Occupational Therapy Committee. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include a number of forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs that may be different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as there will be several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Canton, SD that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Canton, SD reviewed by Nevaeh RAMOS on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.