When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Canyon, TX, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Canyon, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a school, it is very important to analyze all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you will be taught the full array of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders making it essential that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another important variable you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual practical experience as compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are frequently driven aside while students pursue their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you might like to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees complete the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Canyon, TX
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include a number of forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Canyon, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Canyon, TX reviewed by Josiah BARNES on June 2.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.