Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Cape Coral, FL, you should soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistantincome is over $53,000 yearly making it one ofthe best paying healthcare jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cape Coral, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, make sure you analyze all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program thatsuits all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that yourtraining is very diverse and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schoolsapply substantially more time on your actual practical trainingcompared to other schools. In cases where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of may varysignificantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family tend to be driven aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you might like to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their evaluations were , and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Cape Coral, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year beingpredominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going throughhands on lessons in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,clinical terms , and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure onlywant a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapistbegan their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need tobecome licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensure is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of themand include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewedand be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will includenumerous forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites . It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through thepaper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcriptsnecessary ; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needswhich can be different compared to the previous patient . You could be working for an outpatient clinic with young children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills , some of the basics including following direction , keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounterseveral instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Cape Coral, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cape Coral, FL reviewed by Kayla WAGNER on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.