As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Carpinteria, CA, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Carpinteria, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a training program, it is important to examine all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders making it really important that your training is very extensive and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important variable to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family will often be driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you need to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Carpinteria, CA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain several forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs that will be completely different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with young children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because there will be many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Carpinteria, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Carpinteria, CA reviewed by Christian HILL on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.