After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Carrollton, GA, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Carrollton, GA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a training program, it is very important to think about all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is imperative that your course work is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical experience compared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are sometimes driven aside as students undertake their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue that you have to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Carrollton, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include numerous forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs that could be very different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Carrollton, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Carrollton, GA reviewed by Alyssa HOLMES on June 8.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.