As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Cedarburg, WI, you are going to soon see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cedarburg, WI
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a school, be sure that you think about all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full range of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders so it is imperative that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison with others. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for some people online training can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are often driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might like to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Cedarburg, WI
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain several forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs that may be different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Cedarburg, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cedarburg, WI reviewed by Lucy PIERCE on June 3.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.