After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Centereach, NY, you will probably quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying medical occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Centereach, NY
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to select a training program, it is important to examine all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full variety of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it very important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important feature to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household tend to be driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you should evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Centereach, NY
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. in Addiction Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In New York, licensing is handled by the New York State Board for Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include numerous forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs which can be completely different compared to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Centereach, NY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Centereach, NY reviewed by Blake JAMES on June 13.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.