After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Chowchilla, CA, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying medical-related careers that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Chowchilla, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of skills necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders making it imperative that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical experience compared to others. In instances where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you might like to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Chowchilla, CA
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include quite a few forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs that may be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Chowchilla, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Chowchilla, CA reviewed by Jaxon WARD on June 13.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.