When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Clayton, MO, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it among the best paying medical careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clayton, MO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a training program, you might want to think about all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you will be taught the full variety of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders so it is very important that your schooling is very extensive instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical training in comparison with others. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online classes can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently pushed aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you have to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Clayton, MO
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is handled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain several forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Clayton, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clayton, MO reviewed by Hannah FREEMAN on June 3.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.