As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Clearlake, CA, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clearlake, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, you might want to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you will learn about the full array of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders making it essential that your course work is very diversified and not too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family tend to be driven aside as students continue their schooling and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor that you should look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Clearlake, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain many forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs which can be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as there will be many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Clearlake, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clearlake, CA reviewed by Wyatt MITCHELL on June 14.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.