As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Clearlake, CA, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clearlake, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, you might want to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you will learn about the full array of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders making it essential that your course work is very diversified and not too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family tend to be driven aside as students continue their schooling and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor that you should look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Clearlake, CA
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
- Alcohol & Drug Counseling Studies
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain many forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs which can be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as there will be many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Clearlake, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clearlake, CA reviewed by Wyatt MITCHELL on June 14.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.