When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Clute, TX, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clute, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a school, you might want to analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full variety of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders so it is important that your training is very diversified and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with others. In situations where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be pushed aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you need to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Clute, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain numerous forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which are often very different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Clute, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Clute, TX reviewed by Aaron STEWART on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.