As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Cocoa Beach, FL, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cocoa Beach, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, you will need to analyze all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you will learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it crucial that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to others. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household can be pushed aside while students carry on their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you ought to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Cocoa Beach, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include many forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs which can be totally different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Cocoa Beach, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cocoa Beach, FL reviewed by Violet WEAVER on June 5.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.