Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Cocoa, FL, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually making it among the best paying medical-related vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cocoa, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, you might want to analyze all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured you will be taught the full array of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it very important that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail that you should examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Cocoa, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include a number of forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs that may be completely different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Cocoa, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cocoa, FL reviewed by Julia PAYNE on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.