Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Cocoa, FL, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually making it among the best paying medical-related vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cocoa, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, you might want to analyze all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured you will be taught the full array of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it very important that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail that you should examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Cocoa, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include a number of forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs that may be completely different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Cocoa, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Cocoa, FL reviewed by Julia PAYNE on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.