Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Colleyville, TX, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the best paying health care careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Colleyville, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a school, be sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full array of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important feature to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with other training programs. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are sometimes driven aside as students undertake their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor that you have to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Colleyville, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Physical Therapy Technician Certificate
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain several forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs that could be very different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Colleyville, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Colleyville, TX reviewed by Jacob MYERS on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.