When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Commerce, CA, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Commerce, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a school, it is important to analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you will learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders making it crucial that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are oftentimes pushed aside while students carry on their training and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you have to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Commerce, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include quite a few forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs which may be different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Commerce, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Commerce, CA reviewed by Tyler COLLINS on June 2.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.