After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Concord, MA, you can expect to quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying medical vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Concord, MA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, it is very important to think about all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will learn about the full range of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical experience when compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household can be driven aside as students continue their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you might want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Concord, MA
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is administrated by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include numerous forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs that could be very different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since you will have many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Concord, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Concord, MA reviewed by Abigail COLE on June 2.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.