When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Converse, TX, you should soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Converse, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a training program, make sure that you evaluate all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured you will learn about the full array of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very extensive and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with others. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many people online training courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family will often be driven aside while students continue their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you might like to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Converse, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include quite a few forms to fill out. Never pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs which may be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with young children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Converse, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Converse, TX reviewed by Luis WASHINGTON on June 14.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.