Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Coventry, CT, you are going to quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying health care professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Coventry, CT
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, you will need to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident that you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders so it is really important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important variable you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual practical training when compared to the others. In cases where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family will often be pushed aside as students carry on their training and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you might want to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Coventry, CT
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Connecticut, licensing is administered by the Connecticut Department of Public Health Occupational Therapy Licensure. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain a number of forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs that may be very different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Coventry, CT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Coventry, CT reviewed by Bailey CUNNINGHAM on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.