As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Crestview, FL, you will probably quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying health care careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Crestview, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, it is very important to analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will learn about the full array of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders making it imperative that your course work is very diversified instead of too focused on a particular discipline.
Another important variable you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are sometimes driven aside while students continue their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you have to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Crestview, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Mental Health Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Prepare for a Career in Massage Therapy, Makeup Artistry, or Skin Care!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? Consider a career in massage therapy, makeup artistry, or skin care.
Classes start November 13!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain several forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs that will be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Crestview, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Crestview, FL reviewed by Faith CARROLL on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.