Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Darby, PA, you should quickly realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the best paying healthcare occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Darby, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a training program, be sure that you think about all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you will learn about the full variety of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your training is very extensive and not too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are frequently driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you want to evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Darby, PA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administrated by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include quite a few forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs which can be very different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Darby, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Darby, PA reviewed by Hudson FOSTER on June 5.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.