As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in De Bary, FL, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the best paying medical professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in De Bary, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, it is very important to consider all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders making it important that your training is very diverse and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience compared to others. In instances where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some online classes can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often times driven aside as students continue their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in De Bary, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain numerous forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs which may be completely different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, as you will have several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near De Bary, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in De Bary, FL reviewed by Makayla ARNOLD on June 15.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.