After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Dickson, TN, you should soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dickson, TN
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a training program, make sure you consider all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very diversified and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with other training programs. In cases where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online classes can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students pursue their training and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you should examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Dickson, TN
At South College we welcome students from all different stages of life and career. Whether you are pursing a degree for the first time, going back to school as an adult learner, or furthering your career with an advanced degree, our faculty and staff will partner with you to give your dreams direction.
- AS Occupational Therapy Assistant
- BS Health Science (Post PTA)
- AAS Physical Therapist Assistant
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administrated by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain a number of forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs which may be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Dickson, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dickson, TN reviewed by Thomas RICHARDSON on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.