After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Dixon, CA, you should quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying healthcare vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dixon, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a training program, it is important to consider all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual clinical experience compared to others. In instances where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently pushed aside as students pursue their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you should take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Dixon, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain numerous forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because there will be several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Dixon, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dixon, CA reviewed by Logan CLARK on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.