As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Douglas, GA, you will quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying medical-related careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Douglas, GA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a school, you will need to think about all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very extensive instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household tend to be driven aside while students continue their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you might want to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Douglas, GA
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain a number of forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs which can be very different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since there will be many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Douglas, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Douglas, GA reviewed by Sophia FORD on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.