After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Dublin, GA, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying medical occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dublin, GA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a training program, you will need to consider all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very diverse and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another important component you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family can be driven aside as students continue their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you want to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Dublin, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain numerous forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which can be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Dublin, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dublin, GA reviewed by Brianna MILLS on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.