After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Dublin, GA, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying medical occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dublin, GA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a training program, you will need to consider all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very diverse and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another important component you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family can be driven aside as students continue their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you want to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Dublin, GA
- Keiser University Online
- Offering 100% online programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees at Keiser!
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain numerous forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which can be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Dublin, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Dublin, GA reviewed by Brianna MILLS on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.